The Southern Maryland law firm Sasscer, Clagett & Bucher (SCB) has experienced family law practitioners. Family law issues – divorce, separation agreements, child custody and visitation, child support, alimony and spousal support, division of marital property, protective orders, pre- and post-nuptial agreements, hidden assets, and high asset divorce – are life changing events. Planning and good advice is the best way to face this legal and emotional situation. The first step is to meet with us to assess your situation now or what it may be in the future and discuss your options.
Your protection is your right. Anyone can request a protective order. Contact Sasscer, Clagett & Bucher today.
What is a Protective Order?
In Maryland, a Protective Order helps victims of domestic violence. A person is eligible for a protective order if they are:
- the current of formers spouse of an alleged abuser
- have a child with the alleged abuser
- had an intimate relationship and lived with the alleged abuser for 90 days within the last year
- are related by blood or marriage to the alleged abuser.
To get a protective order, the victim must prove that one of the following acts occurred:
- assault of any degree
- an act that causes serious bodily harm
- an act that places the victim in fear of serious imminent bodily harm
- rape or sexual offense
- attempted rape or sexual offense
- false imprisonment
- child abuse
When you get a protective order, the judge may order the following:
- the alleged abuser stop the abuse
- the alleged abuser should stay away from the victim, children, or other family members
- the alleged abuser should stop contacting the victim
- the alleged abuser should vacate the home
- the alleged abuser should have to pay emergency financial support
- the alleged abuser should attend counseling
- the alleged abuser will lose a firearms license and have to surrender any firearms
The family law team at Sasscer, Clagett & Bucher can offer the support you need and help you navigate this complicated process towards a desirable outcome.
Contact Sasscer, Clagett & Bucher’s Family Law Attorneys
We will work to avoid litigation and settle your family law issues amicably through negotiation. However, when this is not possible, we fight vigorously to protect your interests in the courtroom. Either way, Sasscer, Clagett & Bucher is sensitive to your emotions, and we will always provide compassionate representation.
If you would like to speak with a member of the firm, or have any question about our practice, please contact our offices to arrange a consultation. Call 301-627-5500.