Areas of Focus
Office LocationSasscer, Clagett & Bucher
5407 Water Street, Suite 101
Upper Marlboro, MD 20772
Map and Directions
Thomas A. McManus
5407 Water Street
Upper Marlboro, Maryland 20772
|Position||Areas of Practice||Education|
Mr. McManus has been practicing law for more than thirty years, and for the past twenty years he has been a partner at the firm. He began his career as a law clerk for the Hon. Joseph Mattingly in St. Mary’s County Maryland and then worked as a prosecutor in both St. Mary’s and Prince George’s County. He continues to utilize his broad experience in litigating both civil and criminal matters, including a wide range of business disputes, in courts throughout the state.
Mr. McManus has a wide-ranging practice representing both plaintiffs and defendants in civil cases, as well as those accused of breaking the law in criminal matters. He appears in Court through Prince George’s County, Anne Arundel County and Southern Maryland frequently.
He recently obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a brain injured client in the Circuit Court for Prince George’s County, and successfully represented a criminal defendant in a high-profile case in St. Mary’s County. His specialty in truck accident cases takes him to courthouses throughout the State. In August of 2013, he won a verdict in favor of a prominent national truck company in Bel Air, Maryland. Later that year, he also successfully defended a truck accident claim in Washington County. He is actively involved in estate litigation in both Montgomery and Prince George’s County and has a number of pending business dispute cases, primarily in Calvert and St. Mary’s County.
Mr. McManus expertise in a variety of practice areas has earned him the respect of his colleagues; he has an AV rating – the highest rating for legal ability and ethics – for more than 20 years. He has been designated as a Superlawyer in 2012, 2013 and again in 2014.
In July of 2013, the Maryland Court of Appeals honored Mr. McManus by appointing him to the Attorney Grievance Commission, where he is one of nine lawyers and three laypersons who oversee the attorney discipline process in Maryland.
He is a Maryland Bar Fellow and a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation. He remains active in the Prince George’s County Bar Association. In the past several years he has been asked to testify before the House Judiciary Committee about the effects of proposed legislation extending liability to the manufacturers of the lead-based pigment.
His more noteworthy criminal cases as a prosecutor include:
* In 1985, Michael John Desarno was convicted of sexual child abuse for acts committed by the former high school wrestling coach while acting in the capacity as a wrestling coach.
* In 1987, Mr. McManus successfully prosecuted Willie Horton for beating and raping an Oxon Hill woman. The case received national media attention in the 1988 presidential election between George Bush and Michael Dukakis. Willie Horton, serving a life sentence for murder, escaped from a Massachusetts prison furlough program to commit the rape, while Mr. Dukakis was governor of the state.
* In 1988, Mr. McManus convicted a trucker for Motor Vehicle manslaughter in the 1986 deaths of two high school girls in Riverdale. A truck with 18 safety defects carrying hot asphalt stalled at the top of a hill and rolled into a car occupied by three high school girls. One was severely injured and the other two died when nearly 14,000 pounds of hot asphalt was dumped on the car.
Born on August 17, 1954 in Kingston, New York. Married, three children.
Current Employment Position(s):
Areas of Practice:
- Insurance Defense
- Criminal Defense
- Products Liability
- Premise Liability
- Maryland, 1980
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1980
- Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, Washington, District of Columbia, 1979
- Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts, 1976
- Major: English
- Williams v. Stewart, 97 Md. App. 620, 631 A.2d 517 (Md.App. 1993)
- Marquardt v. Papenfuse, 92 Md. App. 683, 610 A.2d 325 (Md.App. 1992)
- Cheverly Terrace Partnership v. Ticor Title Insurance Co., 100 Md. App. 606, 642 A.2d 285 (Md. App. 1994)
- Allstate Insurance Company
- Chicago Title Insurance Company
- J.B. Hunt Transport Inc.
Honors and Awards:
- “AV” Rated Attorney
Superlawyer 2012, 2013 and 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Prince George’s County Bar Association, 1993 – 1999
- Chair, Tort and Law Subcommittee
- Prince George’s County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Bar Foundation
- Maryland State Bar Foundation
- Attorney Grievance Commission
Past Employment Positions:
- Prince George’s County, Assistant State’s Attorney, 1983 – 1988
- Circuit Court for St. Mary’s County, Hon. Joseph Mattingly, Jr., Law Clerk, 1980 – 1981
- St. Mary’s County, Assistant State’s Attorney, 1981 – 1983